Thursday 9 July 2009

Sabres of Paradise Tape Incident

Growing up I learned piano, played in the local brass band and graduated to playing trumpet in the local schools jazz orchestra, a kind of swing band. But despite all that, I never found music that I really liked, found my own. That's until I read about LFO and then Nightmares On Wax in the magazine Music Technology. Twiddlings on my Casio keyboard paid off then. I used to walk my dog, good old Fudge, with my walkman on loud, listening to the LFO and Nightmares On Wax albums everyday. I knew every bleep and bloop. I followed the records Warp released religiously, it introduced me into a whole new world. One of the cassettes I had was Sabres of Paradise's Sabresonic. I never got into that one as much as the others, I was used to the bleeps. Wanting a knew album, I repackaged the Sabres album into a newer box and tried to fob it off in the St Helens Our Price records as new to get something else. I got found out. Sent out with the tail between my legs. Shameful. But not the end of the world. This is monsiour Andrew Wetherall with his Sabres of Paradise from 1994. Trippy. And this tune I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment